There are a lot of questions that people have when visiting a new Massage Therapist. Find some of the most common questions people have below. If something is still unclear, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
DO I HAVE TO WEAR A MASK?
Yes! Social distancing and massage don't work well together, so yes, masks are 100% mandatory. It will need to be on your face (covering both your nose and mouth) BEFORE entering the building, and remain on for the duration that you are in the building. We don't allow vented masks in the office. Green Harbor Massage works with people who are high risk and have high risk family, among others, so there are zero exceptions here.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FROM MY FIRST SESSION?
Expect a welcoming, judgement free zone! Green Harbor Massage is a safe place. Please show up 10-15 minutes before your first appointment to fill out your health forms and discuss your goals. We will go over your health intake form together and create a session plan for your massage. You are totally encouraged to ask questions along the way. (even if your goal is just to relax, that's cool too!)
Some quick points on massages here:
- We adhere to ethics and boundaries here.
-You do NOT have to undress past your
comfort level. (if that means keeping all clothing on, then keep all clothing on.)
-You will never be "exposed". There is a sheet and a blanket to be under.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY FIRST TREATMENT?
Well... make sure you write down any questions you may have, so you don't forget to ask any. There isn't really any "preparing" that is needed. (Unless you are coming from the gym or farm chores...then please at least rinse off in the shower. You won't want sweat and grime pushed back into your skin). Please don't make a big deal if you didn't/don't shave. Shaving isn't even close to being on my radar. I couldn't care less. Oh! Please don't come in with a full face of makeup. Not only will it get smudged from the face rest, it will stain my face rest covers. That's it! No worries about pit hair or a little bit of oily scalp, we're good.
WHAT ABOUT TIPS?
I would appreciate it if you didn't. To be honest, it makes me feel really awkward.
Donate it to a charity of your choice. Most of their websites (and even Facebook) make it super quick and easy to donate a few bucks online. Use it for something else, a gift for someone else, etc. It is sooooo much easier when the price listed is the price you pay, and not have to worry about how much to try to calculate in. Just enjoy an massage with no extra math.
If you are wanting to show how much you enjoyed your session, here are a few alternative (and socially good) things you can do:
book another appointment, tell a friend, and you can even help me help the planet! When you leave a review on Google, Review Forest will plant a tree in your name! (I can even get you a certificate after it's planted).
WHAT IS A WELLNESS MASSAGE?
Wellness massage here, is just that...for your wellness / well-being. Sessions here are 100% customized to your needs and goals (chronic pain relief, stress and anxiety relief, and even "just because"). Green Harbor Massage is also an evidence-informed practice...meaning I combine your story, my knowledge, and current scientific research to work with you on the best options for your massage session. I use a combination of a variety of techniques/modalities (Classic massage, Neuromuscular, Myofascial, Stretching, and Movement). I ask a lot of questions about your day, so I can get a better understanding of your needs and goals. Communication is key! Patients and clients are totally encouraged to speak up for themselves, as I am not a mind reader, and encouraged to advocate for their needs.
WHAT ABOUT HOT STONES
Well....It's definitely NOT like you see in stock photos (ya know...head cranked to the side...stones laying directly on the spine on bare skin..) Sorry! Just kidding, I'm not sorry, those hot stone massages look painful. The only time stones should make direct contact with your skin is if they are moving. Placement stones, or static stones should always have something between them and your skin. Hot Stone massages at Green Harbor are just like a Wellness Massage, only stones are used as targeted heat treatment. The heat from the stones is slowly introduced from my hands (I hold the stones, then the heat transfers to my hands, then to you...so no surprises). After that, I use them in place of hands, and anywhere that needs extra static heat, will have a towel down THEN the stone. Avoiding burns is important, mmmkay. Just because it isn't as glamorous as the generic and incorrect stock photos are...doesn't mean it isn't effective, plus your neck wont hurt after.
WHAT YOU WONT FIND HERE
1. Extreme Deep Tissue. If you enjoy feeling like you were just beat up...this is not the place. I do not participate in "No Pain, No Gain" (but can totally recommend someone who will). If you can never seem to find someone who has enough pressure...I can refer you to someone (I am not that therapist). My "Deep Tissue" is all about deeper layers...not more pressure. Deep layers can absolutely be reached without a ton of pressure or pain.
2. Judgement. For any reason. Green Harbor Massage is a safe place. Forgot to shave?? (or just don't) Come on in. Worried about wrinkles, rolls, scars, and weight?? Come on in.
3. Dirty Blankets. Every "body" (sorry...had to, lol) gets clean linens AND a clean blanket on a disinfected table. Everything is cleaned between patients/clients (chairs, tables, my desk, the bathroom...you get the point)
4. Cancelation Fees. You will not be charged for having to cancel your appointment. I completely understand that sometimes...life happens...and there isn't anything we can do most times. No need to be charged and punished for those times as well. (At this point in time, I don't even require a credit card to book any appointments, and I do not store card info)